Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Year of the Rabbit


Innocence does not allow u-turns. ---facecious, the fortune cookie

There's this story that my mom likes to tell. It involves our pet rabbit, nameless. Well, i don't remember his name, because im not sure whether i really cared. I wish i could find the old albums with the picture of me locked in his cage, crying. Well, unbeknownst to me, we ate him for dinner one night. I was told the next day. I was told that it didn't phase me. Perhaps, because i didn't understand death or, rather, mental cruelty.
My favorite time to tell this story is right after my mother tells her favorite story of how she taught the lesson of curiosity vs. the cat. She runs through how i went on and on about how i was a rabbit, and how i wished to live in my rabbit's cage. So, to teach the lesson on why one should never wish to be something that they are not, she approaches me, playing in the cage. "So you wanna be a rabbit?" "Yes." "I can make you a rabbit" "Really?" "Ya, here you go, now you're a rabbit." Meanwhile, locking up the cage and running into the house.
And sure enough, i react like a big, scared baby. I cry.
"Mommy, mommy, i don't want to be a rabbit anymore." "I'm not a rabbit, i'm a girl, i'm a GIRL!!!!"
Oh, i know what yr thinking....fuckin' halarious. Ya, i know. And that's why i almost consider having children.

No comments: