Monday, September 13, 2004

One of the Memories to Laugh

Perhaps it should go under my top 20 stupidest moments. Circa 2001, I am standing at the bus stop 51 on the T of bancroft and telegraph. i am consumed in thought and music as i'm huddled in my hoody with the strings tied tightly. I am brought back into the world when i feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn, and i find an old, crazy-haired man with a wild look in his eye trying to communicate something blasted. So I emerge from my headphones and say, "excuse me?". He's shakey, he's jagged, he's a one of a kind. He asks in a loud, jolty voice "where's the 7 stop? Where's the 7 stop?". I point and reply, "over there". His voice then grows louder and angrier, "where? where?". I point and reply, "over there by the tree." He continues, "where, where, you moron, can't you see that i'm blind?" I then glanced into his eyes and saw that indeed, he was blind". He was at the height of his agitation, i was at the height of offense and embarrassment. I was confused and just wanted to run into the bus that was pulling up. Instead, i grabbed his callused hand and pulled him to the sign. He didn't say thank you, and i'm not really sure if he should have. I'm still confused by that incident.

No comments: