Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Tautology 101

The pursuit of happiness seems to be the antithesis to the "meaning of life". Happiness was dreamt of in the early industrial period of modern, firstworld countries to replace the idea of calm and natural simplitude for a complicated model of machinery that confuses the mind.

The invention and distribution of the automobile has given people the mobility to amass together at any given whim. It no longer takes a 20 day wagon trek to reach the ones you want to see. These days, it is a 2 hour flight, or a collect call or instant message. These conveniences steal away from the growth of longing for estranged friends and loved ones. Why send letters with drawings and pictures when there's the FWD:Message, and why even call when there is text? The modern everyday use of these amenities creates a lack of personal drive to connect to anyone. To miss and to long for is no longer the motivation for communication. We now have other things to replace the space for sentimentality, sincerity, and intimacy.

But this is not the only arena to where the clouds have gathered. This is only where I begin. I am a sham, and have a quote to express just that.

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." Ironically and admittedly so, I know not the author.


I hate myspace, i hate my blog. I grow ashamed of my impotent flow of curiousity that navigates my mouse around its wearing pad. I don't like this matrix-esque network of bodyless and unconstrained ego. People begin to substitute their myspace feelings with the feelings of my space. I begin to think of intermediaries as acquaintances and my true friends as but top 8 billboard marketing and political statements. And i rarely look anyone in the eye anymore.

I am not going to cease my behavior, though. And neither will you. You are going to continue comparing your real life to their fake profiles, and I am going to continue contrasting my recycled garbage posts with similar, yet not as elequent angry prose. I'll have to spend more time trying to harnessing my strengths in order to break away from the shells that I, you, and everybody else has casted upon us all.
And this ain't even the beginning, i've got a whole buttload of shit to splatter on these interspacial, matterless "pages", but i have work to complete, so that i may get paid, and buy more things that will make me feel more like a real human being.

"I can resist everything except temptation."---and well, this one i know, good ol' wilde.

No comments: