Thursday, November 23, 2006

Cumpleanos

I heard knocking. When I hear knocking as I sleep, it is but a reflex to say "come in". I didn't say anything. I tried to ignore the sound. But it grew faster and more persistent. And that's when my brain registered that this was not the sound of flesh to door. This was something else. "Come IN!" I yelled again. And as I approached consciousness, I felt the strain on my neck. My fucking shoulders were tired. I am not sleeping in my...."Mamm, you are going to have to step outta the car." I haven't slept in yr bed in months.

"His name is Shadow because he is a black dog." Simple symbolism is not impossible for a child of four. Nor is 7am an early hour for one who falls to sleep at 8pm. In fact, Rosemary found it appalling. For a child to sleep more than 8 hours is a sign. Mental retardation, perhaps? The indications are quite clear. Neither of them accepts breakfast. "Oatmeal is gross." "Raisons look like dead flies." The difference between old and young are now revealed. What in heaven is a Cocoa Crispy? Maple syrup and brown sugar is ignored. As are they. Two siblings. Of what crimes are they capable?
Dog abuse. "His name is Shadow because he is a black dog," he repeats. Two hours later. To his sister. "He is not black, he is dark brown." They don't teach these differences in color until 2nd grade. But she's still in 1st, so retardation will probably be ruled out. But that would only happen if Rosemary had heard her correct her brother. Thus, retardation still clings to this woman's chest.
"I did it again, you know."
"Did what?"
"You know...."
"Oh."
"So what should I do?"
"I guess flip it."
"I did, but what about the rest?"
"I guess, hide them."
"I did."
"Oh."
That's all the conversation needed between two people who understand things so well. Even after only two years of speech between the two, those few words are the only necessity. That is the way among children. Swift speech. Retardation is grossly misunderstood. Even through the prognosis stage. Genious should have been the stronger bet, but that wouldn't be determined until years later. Many, many years later.
And many, many mistakes later, as well.

No comments: