Sunday, January 30, 2005

My hole in the Market

As a kid, I always noticed those faint marks and scratches in the chalkboard that served as a reminder that there were many classes before my own. Remnents of old assignments and daily reminders, etched anew into a new generation of up and coming achievers. As an adult, I can't help but take notice of certain days of the year. Those dates that serve as a bookmark for every year before it. Last year, i was at the cabin with some of my favorite people. The year before that, at a bar in San Francisco, and before that, the Hut/Graduate, and before that.....
My point being, that despite all the changes one makes in their lifetime for reasons of every kind, one cannot change the etches upon the chalkboard. People keep memories for a reason. Last year, i considered making a call. I had even tried that call, but that cabin allowed no cell phone reception. It was probably for the best, for I was drunk and there were countless other reasons it would not have been a good idea. Nonetheless, the idea had crossed my mind.
This day was never very important to her, but every year, I would try to make it so. Things like that were my job back then. I can't make memories like those disappear, and believe me, i tried. I'm sure there are others who have taken up the friendly duty of making the day a good one. That would be a good thing, for i do wish her the best. I really do.

No comments: